Volume 3, Number 1 (2 2005)                   sjsph 2005, 3(1): 29-42 | Back to browse issues page


XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Mahmoodi M, Mohebali M, Hejazi H, Keshavarz H, Alavi Naeini A, Izadi S. SEROEPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDY ON TOXOPLASMIC INFECTION AMONG HIGH-SCHOOL GIRLS BY IFAT IN ESFAHAN CITY, IRAN . sjsph. 2005; 3 (1) :29-42
URL: http://sjsph.tums.ac.ir/article-1-243-en.html

Abstract:   (7015 Views)
The purpose of this study was to determine toxoplasmosis seropositivity rates and to record ascending serologic titers in high-school girls. We also searched for possible risk factors. This descriptive-analytic study used 414 serum specimens collected from high school girls in six different regions of Esfahan city through cluster random sampling. The sera were taken from the tip of the finger by hematocrite microtubes. Samples were studied by the Indirect Immunofluorescent Assay Test(IFAT) for estimation of serum titers. Data were analyzed using chi-square (X²) and t tests. The overall seropositivity rate was 18.4% in 14-19 year-old girls and this rate increased with age. IFAT titers in 98% of the positive samples were at 1:100 the remaining 2% showed values above this threshold. For the latter group, we performed another titration test to determine exact titers .The supposed risk factors were age, place of residence, education level (parents and student), consumption of undercooked meat and raw liver, occupation and parent income, and exposure to contaminated material from cats and fowls. The highest positivity rates (27.5%) were recorded in District 1, while the lowest rates (14.5%) were seen in District 5. Significant relationships were found between seropositivity and exposure to cats and fowls.(P>0/05). No significant relationship was observed with the other factors. There was a low level of knowledge about toxoplasmosis and the relevant risk factors: only 2.4% of the subjects were relatively well-informed on this subject. There were not any acute cases. Toxoplasma infection is very important because of its socioeconomic implications, so control measures seem crucial. All seronegative women should be know about this infection and its transmission routes. Education is the most important element in prevention and must be promoted via the mass media, other education systems and the health managers. The studied group in this survey were girls at the usual age of marriage or younger, and it is recommended that health system managers continue to offer education on practices that help prevent infectious diseases in general and toxoplasmosis in particular.
Full-Text [PDF 201 kb]   (1011 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Research | Subject: General
Published: 2013/07/13

Add your comments about this article : Your username or email:
Write the security code in the box

© 2017 All Rights Reserved | Journal of School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb